So imagine, you want to edit the root partition of your server (to enlarge it), and you suddenly could not do that anymore with your favourite tool parted. Today I was confronted with this error on a SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12 (SLES12SP5) machine using parted 3.1 :
Error: Partition /dev/sda2 is being used. You must unmount it before you modify it with Parted.
What fresh hell is this?
Maybe it is an "enhancement"? Perhaps to prevent someone to not accidentally trash their server? For me it is a regression. I know exactly what I want to do and I'm now prohibited in doing so. Unfortunately I could not find a "force" option or the such to force parted to do my bidding :-(
Luckily the good old fdisk still has my back, since that just works
P.S. This issue is fixed in parted v3.2 (in parted.c)
My girls are building lego borg cubes, should we be worried?
Borg cube image is a courtesy of the Memory-Alpha Fandom wiki
Today a friend asked me what my microphone setup looked like. He saw the mic arm and it peaked his interest. So why not share it in general...
I'm grateful for translations by translators. But translating everything causes icons to break. Ubuntu MATE 20.04 has several broken icons and most of them are fixed in Ubuntu MATE 20.10 already.
Advice: Please do NOT translate the 'Icon' text, just leave that translation blank (""). Copy/pasting the English text will cause superfluous lines in .desktop files and might cause additional work later (if the original name is updated, you will need to copy and paste that string again). So getting a 100% translation score, might even be non-optimal.
Some time ago I switched to AwesomeWM and with that came another change, my default terminal emulator. Having used GNOME terminal for years, I soon switched to Terminator back in the day. Leaving GNOME behind, in search for a more lean desktop with less frills and more keyboard centric features, I also had to ditch that terminal emulator (it has too many dependencies for my use case). Eventually I stumbled upon st, which fit the bill.
Yesterday I received an e-mail that Flying Blue moved away from their 'pin' (a few digits only) password for online services. My initial response was being very pleased about this move. I've just changed my pin to a password, but... See the screenshot below for the password restrictions. facepalm
Just wanted to wish all my fellow system administrators a very happy sysadmin day. This one goes out to all you ninjas, who carry out their work in the shadows to ensure maximum availability, stability, performance and security. To all of you, who try to explain magic to muggles on a daily basis.
About 5 months ago I moved away from Whatsapp (owned by Facebook) to Signal and today I moved away from Facebook itself. It has been on my to do list for a while already. Watching Zondag met Lubach this week gave me the final push to put my Facebook account removal at the top of my to do list. Arjen Lubach even created a Facebook event (quite funny) called "Bye Bye Facebook", which was scheduled for yesterday evening at 20.00. He stuck to his word and removed his own account. What made it funnier was that his event was not very easy to find using the search function, which usually works fine.
About 2 weeks ago the developers behind the cryptocurrency Monero (Bitcoin 2.0) released an update of their software. When the blockchain reached block 1546000 a few days ago, the updated software release became mandatory to use. Please update your Monero software as soon as possible. Updates can be acquired from their website.
Story is that I have several TP-Link WR710N access points in use, flashed with OpenWrt. The preinstalled (factory) OS is a bit too limiting, resource-intensive and cannot be checked for flaws (or be modified for that matter). Whilst reading the OpenWrt website, I saw they merged with the LEDE project and they are merging their efforts. Hooray for this/these amazing project(s).
Since my installations are a bit stale (and they still work like a charm), it was time to do updates. The project has a fine page about sysupgrade, which describes the process for both the GUI (webinterface) and commandline (preferred). As such I'd like to share the experience, together with some examples.